Saturday, June 19, 2010

Black Sheep Gathering in Eugene Oregon


I spent a few hours at The Black Sheep Gathering admiring all the beautiful fibers. I normally go with my spinning friends, but this year my husband said he wanted to go with me so he could spend the day walking around the festival, holding my hand. Ahhhh.... How romantic... Of course we all know he just wanted to make it hard for me to reach for my wallet.
















My daughter made a beeline for the weaving looms at the entrance.





Susie Weaving at The Black Sheep Gathering


I liked looking at the sample weavings on the looms.





Some of my favorite booths featured handmade crafts from Africa. These are batik wall hangings.
















These African Beads are made of bone and glass.





















Handwoven Baskets from Ghana


Some rustic giraffes on a wall hanging:





















I really liked these Kromski spinner's stools that have been hand painted and embellished.




This unusual spinning wheel looks like it was custom made.

What a pretty little portable spinning wheel. It's called the Wee Spin.
The Wee Spin spinning wheel is made by an elderly gentleman named Terry Korn. He and his wife, Donna live just outside of the Eugene area. Their email address is dalmatia@comcast.net

KCL Woods had a wonderful display of turned wood tools like these drop spindles, orifice hooks, needle felting tools and lap bowls for supported drop spindling.

























































































I never tire of seeing this gorgeous nuno felted coat made by Nancy Gilkesen, a member of our spinning guild.





















Nancy's son, Jason, made these tourquoise buttons to embellish the coat.





















The hood really adds to the beauty of the coat.





















Bright colors make me look twice.





















This is the pattern for the stained glass scarf.





















Natural colored alpaca was used to make a hand knitted alpaca scarf.





















Lots of interesting fibers combine to make a pretty wild scarf.





















This froggy hat would look really cute on my grandchild's head (if I had one).





















And here's a friend for froggy, a pink pig stocking cap.





















A group of students from Lane Community College created this Knitted Feast. Wow!

These "Happy Dots" from Dyelots should add a smile to any spinners face.
















What do you think of these giant knitting needles? They were used to knit roving, rather than yarn, to create an extra heavy alpaca rug.





















These huge balls of roving really caught my eye because they were so bright.





















This lady had beautiful curly hair almost long enough to be stepped on. Some people were petting her hair as if she were one of the fiber displays!





















What would The Black Sheep Gathering be without lots of sheep?































The last room I visited held the live sheep. This Jacob sheep had a beautiful fleece.




















I'm not sure how these Wensleydale sheep can see anything.



















Peek a Boo!

















This Romney Sheep needs to be watched. He's a pickpocket!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these views. It only encouraged my resolve to go to the Gathering this year.

    ReplyDelete