Saturday, March 20, 2010

Good Morning Rovings!




You could say I got up bright and early this morning, except it was actually dark and early. I was so excited to peek into the dye pot it was hard to sleep. I had three different color schemes of hand painted wool rovings cooling all night in the turkey roaster. I steamed them for 30 minutes, just before I went to bed. That's actually the only way for me to let them cool to "room temperature" as the instructions advise. Otherwise, I get so anxious to see how beautiful they turned out that I have to peek too early and risk being burned.

Today's superwash wool rovings were worth the wait. I named them, as you would name your children. I usually have to wait until after the hand painted rovings are born to give them a suitable name because the results are sometimes a surprise. You never know exactly how they will turn out until you remove them from the dye pot.

One of the rovings was made by overdyeing a brown wool. I wasn't sure if I might have to name it something like "Shades of Brown".



But instead I named it "Deep Woods Dusk" because all of the colors came through, but were muted and shadowy. When I chose the colors for the second roving, I was thinking about balloons, but after it was finished I named it "Amy" when I realised that those were the same colors that my friend Amy always chose when she did art projects with me or bought new clothes.




I had intended the third roving to have subtle forest tones, but I used new dyes I wasn't familiar with and the colors turned bright and vibrant so I named it "Forest Fantasy".

No comments:

Post a Comment